segunda-feira, 31 de março de 2008

A: Someone stole (1) my wallet last night!
B: Oh no! What happened?
A: Well, I was working out (2), and I had put my stuff in my locker (3), just like I always do. When I came back (1), someone had stolen (3) my wallet. I guess. I’d forgotten (3) to lock the locker.
B: That’s terrible! Did (1) you lose much money?
A: Only about $ 15. But I lost (1) my credit card and my driver’s license. What a pain!

Past simple – regular verbs - ed
Past continuous was / were + ing
Past perfect - had + past participle

Past perfect: we use the past perfect for an event that occurred before another event or time period in the past.

Eg: when I arrived at the party, Tom wasn’t there. He had gone home.
George didn’t want to come to the cinema with us because he had already seen the film twice.

Exercise:
Complete the sentences. Use simple past or past continuous with the verbs in column A, and the simple past or the past perfect in column B
A
A thief. …………(Break into) our house last night while my sister and I …………….(Pick up) a pizza for dinner.
I …………………. ( shop) with some friends yesterday, and I ……………(lose) my keys.
I ……………… (drive) around with friends all day on Sunday, and I ……………. (Run out) of gas on the freeway.
I …………. (try) to go and visit my parents last night when I ………………. (Get) stuck in the elevator in their apartment building.
B
a) Luckily, I …………...(give) a friend a copy of them, and she ……… (come over) and let me into my apartment.
b) It ………. (Reach) the fifth floor when it ………… (stop). After I. …………(Be) stuck for an hour, someone …………(start) it again.
c) I guess we ………….. (Leave) the door unlocked because that’ how the thief …………….. (Get) into the house.
d) Luckily, I ……………. (bring) my cell phone with me, so I ………… (call) my brother for help.

Match columns A and B to make complete stories.

Source: English grammar in use and interchange 3

Nenhum comentário: